Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Way to Bring a Conversation to a Rapid Conclusion

I was recently talking to a group of women when the talk turned - as it so often does - to their diets. One proudly showed her lunch of salmon and salad (with low fat dressing of course) and a diet cola, saying she was being 'good' today. The other frowned in embarrassment saying how much she admired the other woman and wished she could be like that.

Since I didn't have anything to say I stood nearby waiting for the diet discussion to end. Okay, maybe there was a LOT I wanted to say, but nothing I could say. My silence did not go unnoticed, though. One of the women said 'You're not saying anything. What about you?'

Of course, now I had to say something. It took me by surprise, so I didn't have any brilliant response. Not that I would have if I had more time to think. I don't recall the exact words, but it was along the lines of  'I don't diet anymore, so I don't really have anything to say'. Talk about a conversation stopper.

But if they ever decide they want to break up with diets, they know where to find me.




No comments:

Post a Comment