Thursday, June 7, 2012

Other People's Food

Just when I think I'm doing well with my efforts to eat within hunger/fullness; not eating when I'm not hungry, and stopping when I'm full, regardless of how much food is left on my plate, a variation from my usual routine demonstrates to me that I still have considerable work to do when eating 'Other People's Food', hereafter to be known as 'OPF'. 

At home, it's fairly easy. I cook and serve the food. It's food I'm familiar with and I can judge fairly accurately how much food I require and an serve myself that much. If I need a bit more, I can get it. If I need a bit less, I leave some. On the rare occasions when we go out, that's also not a problem. We either share a meal, or I take part of mine home.

Not so easy for me is OPF. I don't know if it's the need to be 'polite' or what, but I take too much to begin with and then once it's on my plate, I feel like I 'have' to eat it. I had dinner at a friend's recently when this happened. Even though I was full by the time I finished half of it, I continued eating until it was gone.

How do you handle OPF?


2 comments:

  1. You should never eat because you feel obligated. Always do what's best for you. But if you don't go out often or you are spending time with friends & family I think eating until you're stuffed is just fine. Do it because you're enjoying yourself don't do it for any other reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't see your comment right away. I was away and it being my first ever blog comment..I missed it! Thanks for the comment. You are right. It's a seldom thing in my life it's not a big deal at all.

    Have I seen you a Peatarian forum?

    ReplyDelete