Friday, December 28, 2012

Bagels

I bought bagels today.

That doesn't sound like much, does it? Many people buy bagels. The thing is I haven't eaten, let along bought,  a bagel in years.

In my nutrient-dense, whole foods, sugar shunning, world, bagels are seen as worse than useless. Nothing but a chewy round of insulin spiking white flour.

Personally, I don't care whether I eat bagels or not. I don't actually 'crave' them and I still think they are probably not particularly nutritious. That wasn't the point.

I realized the other day that I still make judgements about my food. I eat anything I want, but that doesn't mean I am not thinking that I should have chosen something else, even though I'm eating what my body asked for. In other words, I'm second guessing my body and I don't want to do that. I'd like to get to the point where I just get hungry ->decide what I want -> eat without the accompanying nagging thoughts of 'shouldn't you be eating something 'better?' If that's how it thinks, it's a wonder my brain ever lets me eat anything other than liver.

So no, it didn't ask for a bagel, but it's the closest thing to junk food I'm going to get. I don't know if it will help me stop judging what I'm eating, but it's a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment